It’s inevitable, and there are a variety of reasons to need to go back to your camera’s original factory settings, whether you’re a beginner or a professional, to start fresh once again.
Now, if you’re a beginner, you probably messed around with your new Sony a7r III camera settings that didn’t go well as intended. It happens, and that’s completely okay, fortunately, because you can go back to your Sony camera’s new settings without any difficulty.
In this guide, you will learn how easy it is to reset a Sony a7r III, a7 III, a7r II, a7 II, a7s II camera (whichever you’re using) back to its default settings from the changes made during shooting, or to the initial factory settings. The process is more or less the same for all of these Sony Alpha models.
Step 1: Determine the type of reset you need.
Before we proceed, you will need to determine the type of reset you would like to execute in the Settings Reset menu.
Camera Settings Reset
This option will reset the camera shooting settings back to their default settings.
This option is a total reset like the camera was taken freshly out of the box with its original factory settings.
- The value set for AF Micro Adjustment is not reset when the Camera Settings Reset or Initialize option is executed.
- Do not turn off the camera while the resetting is in process.
- Be patient if nothing appears on the screen for about 10 seconds, as this is entirely normal right after you have performed the reset.
- No movies or photos are deleted when this function is used.
- Applications downloaded to the product PlayMemories Camera Apps may be uninstalled. If you wish to use these apps again, you will have to reinstall them.
Step 2: Doing the reset.
At this point, you have determined whether you need a complete factory reset or just a reset to the shooting settings of the camera back to their default settings.
Without further ado, let’s begin.
- Press the MENU button on your camera.
- Go to Setup → Setting Reset → Initialize → OK
If you wish to just reset the shooting settings, then select Camera Settings Reset instead.
Step 3: Enter the time and date.
Voila! We got your camera back to its original settings. Once the camera reboots, you will be asked to select the time and date. Enter everything again to begin with your fresh start.